Wednesday, June 22, 2005

New Painting

I started in on the new painting. I'm tentatively calling it "ashlar", though that won't likely be its final title...since the word actually appears in the painting.

The painting started out as a drawing of three buckets sitting on a bench. It was yuck and I didn't like it. It took me awhile, but I decided to go on painting "portraits" of my big book. I sketched in the image, and wrote the word "ashlar" next to the book. I spent the next few months trying to decide if it needed more words. I finally decided last week that it didn't, and sealed the whole thing over with matte medium.

I got into it and blocked in the background. I chewed on the brush handles for a bit, and then decided that the main image was not going to be blue, like it is in the book. I think it looks nice right now in brown. I'm trying to decide on something special for the little "hole" where the stone has been removed from the structure. In the book itself there's a bright square of blue.

MPK

No comments: