Monday, July 18, 2005

More cameras

I have recovered from my trip to Hawai'i (actual translation: I didn't want to leave and I took forever to unpack when I got home...). So it's time to get busy in the studio again. I did five more cameras today. Fortunately there are still a good variety of pictures on ebay. I am beginning to recognize cameras that I have already replicated and am trying to avoid this as much as possible.

The brownie cameras are my favorite, with the nice fat chocolate Bakelite bodies and beautiful deco knobs. They are closer to my style in clay then the icy and aristocratic Zeiss, etc. But it's fun to subvert the beautiful engineering of the high-tech cameras into lo-tech clay.

The first picture here is not of a piece of mine. It is a "found" and left in place, but I took a picture. For all those who know me well, you can see why I liked this. The perfect mating of rusty and streamlined. Reminds me of my great dream that someday computers will be housed in handcarved wood cabinets.

MPK

No comments: