Monday, February 13, 2006

A Day at Children's Fairyland

Yesterday we joined our littlest Girl Power girl Katherine and her mom Rachel on a Girl Power field trip to Children's Fairyland in Oakland. I have a ton of memories of this place from childhood. I'm so glad I have friends with children now, so I can get in too! Stephanie, Laura and Amy had never been there before, so I'm really stoked they got to see it too.

The last time I was there, I got in without a kid, somehow. I think things have shaped up a lot at CF in recent years. When I went in '92 it looked creepy and uncared for. Now, I'm glad to say, things have shaped up enormously. There was a steady stream of kids there.

We were the largest group of adults with only one child.

I promised Amy (who is posing down there as Glinda) links to some related sites:

Defunct Amusement Parks
We can be grateful that Children's Fairyland is not on this list. Fascinating pictures of bygone parks decaying back into nature.

The Imaginary World
A Los Angeles artist who inspired by vintage amusement park styles and design. His artwork is wonderful. His site is also a treasure of archive material of "kid stuff", including "storybook parks" like Fairyland, and also "Santa's Villages". Hours of feasting for the eyeballs.

Enjoy.
MPK

No comments: